The captain is in charge of organizing the team, making sure that all members are registered and have program information. Captains will receive helpful messages from the local program coordinator at least once each week. In addition to being the "organizer," captains should motivate, connect and celebrate with their team! If you choose to register online for Walk Kansas, the captain is responsible for initiating the process.
▪ Before you go to register, recruit team members (at least 4 – you can add more later). You will need their email address, or mailing address if they do not have email. If your local program combines the program fee with a t-shirt, make sure you have the color and size preference for your team mates.
Forms are on the left
▪ Go to www.walkkansasonline.org and click the yellow Register box, then select your county/group or district.
▪ Read the information in the “registration” box. If you are not ready to select a challenge, register your team (or yourself if you do not have a team) or pay the registration fee for your team (or self), please come back later.
▪ Enter information to create your user profile and on the next screen, select a program goal for your team. Here, it will ask if you have a team ready to go or if you are registering solo and would like to be placed on a team.
▪ Next, you will enter your team name and information about your team mates. A few programs combine the registration fee and t-shirt, which is why t-shirt size is requested. Select “none” if your county/district does not offer this option.
Note: You can purchase apparel at the Walk KS Store when you are logged in anytime before March 30. Your team mates can also purchase apparel online when they are logged in.
▪ On the next screen you will give your consent to participate and check your preference for photo release.
▪ The Walk Kansas Store will display next. Here you can order merchandise, if you choose. When you are finished, click the blue “check out” button on the bottom of the page. Registration is not complete until you do this.
▪ The final step is to pay online or select the option to pay be check. (Tax is included on merchandise only and not the program fee.)
There will be many opportunities to motivate your team! Think of yourself as a coach, cheerleader or champion. Be positive, encouraging, optimistic and supportive. Believing that you, and others, can accomplish something is half the battle! Create a fun challenge with another team, if friendly competition is motivating. Find activities that team members can do together several times during the program. Get to know your team and learn what motivates them.
Choose your challenge! See the descriptions at right.
The first thing you will do is connect with your team to choose a team name and select a goal (one of the three Walk Kansas challenges.) Use the online platform available when you register for Walk Kansas to stay connected, or find other way that works for your team. Team mates do not need to walk or do activities together – they can if they want to. As a captain, it is your role to see that team members interact and connect regularly in some way.
Celebration is an important part of a behavior change process. This doesn't have to be elaborate and can be a simple as sending a message each week to highlight success of the team or individual members. Send a motivational text, a cartoon, e-card or postcard. Arrange a fun activity for your team such as a bowling party, miniature golf, a pot-luck dinner or lunch out. Make it healthful and fun!