Harper County Extension
Master Gardener Volunteer Program
The purpose of the Extension Master Gardener (EMG) program is to provide trained volunteers willing to serve as program assistants for educational programs developed and supported by extension councils and K-State Research and Extension. These individuals volunteer their expertise and services to help others in their community.
Guidelines for Participation in the Harper County Extension Master Gardener program
- Anyone with an interest in horticulture and volunteering can apply for the Master Gardener program.
- Must attend and complete all the basic Master Gardener Training sessions and volunteer educational service commitment of 40 hours*
- Fulfilling your commitment of volunteer service must be performed in Harper County
- It is recommended the candidate has a high school diploma or equivalent
- After the first year, Extension Master Gardeners are asked to volunteer 20 hours* and fulfill 10 hours of continuing education.
The purpose of the Extension Master Gardener (EMG) program is to provide trained volunteers willing to serve as program assistants for educational programs developed and supported by extension councils and K-State Research and Extension. The local extension council should be involved in implementing and monitoring progress with the EMG program with frequent reports of program impact and activities.
New Master Gardeners must complete 1st 40 hrs working with an established EMG. Must complete 15 hours by end of spring, 30 hours by Sept 1, and 40 by end of fall
15 hours for gardening: work in the learning gardens or volunteer at a public space pre-approved by the coordinator/agent)
5 hours for fundraising: Serve on fundraising committee, assist the fundraising committee with the actual event.
10 hours for outreach: writing newspaper articles, presenting extension based information to civic clubs, presenting extension based information through workshops or field days.
5 hours for administration: Assist with grant writing, updating master gardener notebook.
10 hours for continuing education: KSRE EMG Advanced training, other event pre-approved by coordinator/agent.
10 hrs gardening
5 hours outreach
3 hours fundraising
2 hours administration